Goal: Each student will complete at least one college application and leave with it ready to submit. Students may choose to focus on the application of their choice.
Session 1: What are colleges really looking for?
- Evaluate and rank sample applications
- Structure of a college application resume
- Homework – resume draft
Session 2: How are you unique?
- Declaring a major vs. remaining undecided
- How to read and understand catalogs, policies, and graduation requirements
- Homework – personal questions
Session 3: Describing your “hook”
- Sample essays
- How to tell a story
- Homework – essay draft
Session 4: Answering application questions
- Short answer question and the key to strong answers
- Letters of recommendation – who, when, why, and how
- Homework – draft letter of recommendation requests
Session 5: Making a strong impression
- Campus visits
- Timeline for applications
- Homework – updated copy of essay and resume
Session 6: Tying it all up
- Practice interview
- Personal editing session with “The Grammar Queen”
- Final application review
Individual Essay Follow-up:
Each student receives an additional essay editing session. This work will be done online with Megan’s personal copy editor.
Each student has two individual sessions with Megan Dorsey. These sessions may be used at any point in the process and can cover any aspect of college admissions. Common uses for these sessions include evaluating college choices, revising and editing essays, finalizing applications, and developing additional essays for college or scholarship applications…but the choice is yours.